ABB Optical Group and Paragon Vision Sciences Announce Seventh Annual Optometry Student Challenge
Third and fourth-year students eligible to win a $1,500 travel grant to the 2022 Global Specialty Lens Symposium in Las Vegas
Coral Springs, Fla (July 8, 2021) – ABB Optical Group (ABB), in conjunction with Paragon Vision Sciences, is excited to announce that it is accepting abstract submissions for the seventh annual Optometry Student Challenge.
The Optometry Student Challenge will award travel grants of $1,500 each to three third or fourth-year optometry students to attend the 2022 Global Specialty Lens Symposium (GSLS), held on January 19-22, 2022, in Las Vegas and to present a scientific poster on a topic, of the student’s choice, related to contact lenses.
"Even in the midst of the uncertainty during the COVID-19 pandemic last year, we had an incredible response from optometry students who amazed us with their outstanding submissions and we certainly expect even better participation for this year’s challenge," said ABB’s Professional Education Consultant Dede Reyes. "We’re very excited to once again offer challenge winners the opportunity to travel to the Global Specialty Lens Symposium, present their winning posters and connect with their eyecare industry peers. The passion, dedication and commitment to their chosen profession are evident in each student’s submission, and we look forward to seeing what the 2021 challenge brings.”
In December, ABB and Paragon Vision Sciences will hold a live webinar in which the top six student challenge finalists will present their posters virtually. Attendees will have the opportunity to vote on their favorite poster presentation. Scores will be incorporated in the overall judging of the winners. Last year, more than 230 attendees participated in the webinar and supported challenge finalists during their live virtual poster presentations.
“We at ABB are so inspired and impressed by every student who has participated in previous Optometry Student Challenge events, and we know the contestants for 2021 will continue to amaze us,” said ABB Optical Group Chief Executive Officer Tom Burke. “We look forward to the collaboration and participation from optometry schools, industry business partners, and other supporters as we look to make this year’s challenge the best one yet.”
Optometry Student Challenge Program Rules
- Third and fourth-year students who are interested in participating must register by August 31, 2021. Registered students must then submit an abstract on their proposed poster topic by October 15, 2021.
- Abstracts must focus on study projects or student-based case histories within the following categories: scleral lenses, corneal reshaping and general contact lenses. One winner and one runner-up will be selected within each of these categories.
- Abstracts will be judged in two categories: case study report and research. Six finalists will be selected and notified by October 22, 2021.
- The finalists will then be required to convert their abstracts into scientific posters for further judging. The posters must be submitted in digital, PDF format to ABB Optical Group no later than November 12, 2021. The live virtual poster presentation will take place December 8, 2021.
- Results of this competition will be communicated with the winners and runners-up by December 9, 2021.
- The lead authors of the top three posters will be awarded travel grants of $1,500 each to attend the 2022 symposium and present their posters. Additionally, three runner-up authors will receive honorable mention prizes of $250 each.
“The optical industry of tomorrow is in the hands of the bright, intelligent optometry students of today,” said the General Manager of the Americas for Paragon Vision Sciences David Raimondo. “We’re proud to once again partner with ABB Optical Group to bring the Optometry Student Challenge to encourage and support the next generation of optometrists. We hope that the continuation of the live presentation component will help bring our industry together in support of encouraging these students to continue with their passion.”
For more information on the Optometry Student Challenge, including full contest rules and guidelines, visit ABBOptical.com/OptometryStudentChallenge.
About ABB Optical Group
ABB Optical Group is a leading provider of optical products, services and business solutions in the eye care industry. ABB operates through three business pillars: ABB Contact Lens, ABB Labs and ABB Business Solutions. ABB is focused on the future of eye care professionals, helping them succeed by making practices more efficient and assisting providers to effectively navigate market changes. Visit abboptical.com for more information.
Cristina Pasquino, 561-271-7240 email@example.com